recent projects

Adelaide Avenue Development
The PPSRF partnered with Greater Elmwood Neighborhood Housing Services to develop 11 houses foreclosed by HUD plus three other houses in the South Elmwood Historic District. The $4.5 million project used State and Federal Historic Tax Credits and Low-Income Tax Credits to successfully restore the houses for low income homeowners and renters.

4 Theresa Court
Long time neighborhood residents Miranda Russell and Bill Crozier came to the Revolving Fund in the Fall of 2003 with a simple request; a loan to replace their leaking roof. Working with Project Manager Thom D'Ovidio, the roof was completed in about one week's time.

 

9 Wesleyan Avenue
Samuel and Baratang Stewart bought their house in the Upper South Providence neighborhood in 2003. They applied for a Revolving Fund loan and Senior Project Manager Wayne Trissler provided the technical assistance.

155-157 Vinton Street
This massive three-story home in the Luongo Square - Broadway neighborhood had been neglected for many years by the time Bruce Gladstone bought the property. With the help of a Revolving Fund loan and technical assistance from Project Manager Thom D'Ovidio, Bruce was able to transform this house back to its former glory.

14-16 Europe Street
The PPS Revolving Fund provided a loan and technical assistance to homeowners Mark and Starr Billard to repair their newly purchased home in the Broadway - Federal Hill neighborhood of Providence. The scope of work created by Project Manager Thom D'Ovidio included repairs to the wood shingle and clapboards, porch trim, cornice and window trim, along with a full exterior paint job.

 

253 Broadway
The PPS Revolving Fund worked with homeowner Amahl Harik over the course of several years in this two-phase project. With a Revolving Fund loan and technical assistance from Project Manager Thom D'Ovidio, Amahl was able to complete phase one, which included roof replacement, dormer, cornice and porch repairs, as well as clapboard repair and replacement.

 

3-5 Luongo Memorial Square
Crescent Partners renovated this Greek Revival house, which is across the street from the Decatur Lounge. With a loan from the PPSRF, the building was restored with a new roof, repaired siding, new 6 over 6 windows, and fluted Doric columns at the entry.

 

249 Carpenter Street
Located across from the Decatur Lounge in Luongo Square, 249 Carpenter had been vacant and abandoned for eight years. The property consisted of a large three-family house with two small single family houses in back. It was tax reverted with over $25,000 in back taxes due. Working with the Providence Redevelopment Agency, the Revolving Fund's attorney foreclosed on the tax title on behalf of the PRA. Once the title was clear, the PRA transferred it to the Revolving Fund.

 

225 Carpenter Street
Crescent Partners also restored this Italianate house in Luongo Square with a PPSRF loan. The three-family house had been abandoned and was severely deteriorated. After structural repairs and rebuilding of the built-in gutters, a new slate roof was installed on the mansard, along with repairs to the siding and front entry.

 

84 Vernon Street
Adjacent to Luongo Square, the Revolving Fund developed this vacant, two-family house and sold it to a first time, low income homebuyer. The house had been foreclosed by HUD and purchased by RI Housing, on our behalf. Based on a HUD requirement, RIH maintained ownership of the property while the Revolving Fund undertook the development and sale.

 

199 Weybosset St.
PPSRF assisted Sampalis Realty with the preparation, submission, and monitoring of State and Federal Historic Tax Credit Certifications for the renovation of Benjamin Dyer Block in downtown Providence. Originally built in 1820 by architect John Holden Greene, the building was originally designed as row-houses. In the 1880s the building underwent numerous alterations over the years.

 

18-20 Luongo Memorial Square
In 2000, PPSRF identified the Luongo Memorial Square as an area in dire need. Located between the Armory District and Broadway, this compact area hosted six abandoned houses. The PPSRF was able to purchase tax title to several properties and found a buyer for the remaining ones. The first building renovated was 18-20 Luongo, at the head of the Square. This burned-out eyesore had been a blight for many years.

 

1192 Westminster Street
The West Broadway Neighborhood Association purchased this 1863 Italianate house in the Armory District to develop for commercial space and affordable housing. They hired the Revolving Fund to oversee the development and manage the construction.

672 Broad St. - Youth In Action
Built in 1908, 672 Broad Street is a mixed-use, four story commercial/residential building. It was purchased in 2002 by Youth in Action, a youth governed and operated non-profit whose primary mission is youth leadership and development in Providence.

 

230-232 Westminster St. - Burgess Building
Since 1870, the Burgess building has contributed to the rich architectural fabric of downtown Providence. Although vacant for a number of years, the building was originally intended to house retail and office space. Cornish Associates has connected the building internally to the adjacent O’Gorman Building and has renovated both buildings.

 

156 Melrose
In addition to providing technical assistance, PPSRF also assisted with project management. After removing the aluminum siding, restoring the facade and painting the exterior to match, the home of Jean-Jacques Larrea and Catherine Rudolf Larrea was yet another successfull restoration in the historic Elmwood neighborhood.

 

12 Almy St.
With financial and technical assistance from PPSRF, Christopher and Sara Abernethy began the restoration of their home in April 2004. Along with complete shingle replacement, window casing restoration, and roof and foundation repairs, the front porch was restored and a new deck was build on the first and second floors.

 

228-234 Westminster St. - O'Gorman Building
Vacant for nearly 35 years, the upper levels of the O’Gorman building, located in the heart of downtown Providence, were recently converted by Cornish Associates into residential apartments. Built circa 1925, this brick and terra cotta-clad, corner building was connected to the adjacent Burgess Building.

 

532 Kinsley Ave. - Monohasset Mill
The PPSRF has partnered with four artists, Erik Bright, Joel Taplin, Clay Rockefeller, and Dave Stem, to develop the Monohasset Mill (1865). The 55,000 square foot mill complex will be developed into 36 units of live/work artist lofts. The condominiums will range from 950 square feet to 2,650 square feet, and will be priced between $105 and $200 per square foot.

 

229-239 Westminster St. - Peerless Building
Originally built to house The Boston Company department store, the first in the city, the Peerless Building is now comprised of four separate, internally connected buildings with open floor plans. The first building was constructed in 1866, as the other buildings were added as needed in 1873, 1893, and 1897, they were designed to be compatible with the original brick and stone, American Renaissance style.

 

304 Pearl St. - Pearl St. Lofts
Originally occupied by the New England Butt Company and Louttit Laundry Company, this complex of one, two, and three story brick structures is a handsome example of industrial architecture dating from the 1850s. The Armory Revival Company purchased the complex to convert the building into 19 condominiums and 38 apartments.

 

59-61 Bainbridge
Located in the Broadway Armory National Register District, Bainbridge Avenue is also recognized as a local historic district. PPSRF assisted owner Paul Connelly with the design and restoration of the exterior front entrance staircases. Among other improvements, the two-family home received a new roof and exterior painting.

 


377-383 Broadway
The historic John and Ellen Foster House, a two and a half story Revival Style building, is located on the corner of Broadway and Andrews Street. PPSRF assisted owner, Dr. Richard Cervone, by preparing plans and specifications and providing a loan for the exterior restoration.

9 Thomas St. - Deacon Taylor House
The Providence Art Club owns a remarkable collection of buildings along Thomas Street, in Providence. Over the last ten years, they have worked with the Revolving Fund to undertake the restoration of each of their buildings. During the last year, the Revolving Fund prepared the specifications and managed the restoration of the Deacon Taylor House (1789) for the Providence Art Club.

 

1409 Westminster Street
Located in the Armory District, this large Victorian built in the 1890’s was severely damaged by fire. Owner David Corsetti purchased the building and took out a loan from the Revolving Fund to finance the exterior restoration. Plans and specs were prepared by the Revolving Fund, detailing substantial carpentry repairs, slate roof repairs and the rebuilding of the cornice and built-in gutters.

 

57 Eddy St. - Smith Street Lofts
Located on Eddy Street, behind City Hall, the Smith Building was built in 1912. Vacant for several years, the building was purchased and developed for loft housing by Cornish Associates and Keen Development with assistance from the PPSRF, which prepared the Historic Tax Credit application and provided a $350,000 bridge loan secured by the tax credits.

 

202 Broadway
The new owners of the Thomas Pierce House (1867) undertook the substantial rehabilitation of this important building with financial and technical help from the PPS Revolving Fund. Specifications were prepared by the Revolving Fund, detailing porch and carpentry repairs, as well as roofing and built-in gutters, and lead paint removal and repainting.

 

113 Comstock Avenue
The Charles Godfrey House (1887) is located in Upper South Providence. Vincent Hunte and his family applied to the Revolving Fund to restore the exterior and address necessary capital improvements including rebuilding the porch, replacing the roof and rebuilding the chimney.

 

67 Whitmarsh Street
Located in the North Elmwood Historic District, the Revolving Fund purchased this foreclosed property from Rhode Island Housing. It was vacant and in need of rehabilitation. The Revolving Fund, rebuilt the porch, upgraded the electrical, installed a new heating system and completed carpentry repairs throughout the building and painted it.

 

 

The Providence Preservation Society Revolving Fund provides consulting services to non-profit and for-profit developers of distressed historic properties which contain an affordable housing component or will have a major impact on neighborhood revitalization.

93 Princeton Avenue
Brothers Ross and Seth O'Connor bought this vinyl-sided Colonial Revival house in the North Elmwood Historic District in 2004.

200 Congress Avenue
Dr. Kelly McGarry requested technical assistance from the Revolving Fund to help perform minor repairs to her house in the South Elmwood historic district. Project manager Thom D'Ovidio provided construction specifications and management of the project. Repairs were made to the clapboards and trim, the front porch, and a full exterior paint job.

88 Hudson Street
Homeowners Owen Johnson and Siu-Li Khoe worked with the Revolving Fund to make repairs to their home in the Broadway-Armory Historic District. They re-shingled their mansard roof, re-lined the trough gutters,and performed some minor carpentry repairs.

The Promenade - Foundry Associates
The Foundry is a 25-acre, 12 building complex of mill buildings that was occupied by the Brown & Sharpe Manufacturing Company until 1964. It is located just outside of historic downtown in the Smith Hill neighborhood of Providence. Its present owners, Foundry Associates, have undertaken its massive renovation. While a few buildings that now house commercial and state government offices have already been restored, Foundry Associates is in the process of converting nearly 300,000 square feet of vacant historic buildings into 200 loft apartments.

Rising Sun Mill - Struever Brothers, Eccles & Rouse
The Rising Sun Mill complex consists of 289,500 square feet of space in 10 buildings located on the Woonasquatucket River in the Olneyville neighborhood of Providence. The buildings were originally constructed incrementally over the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries in order to produce worsted yarns and fabrics during a time when Rhode Island dominated worsted production.

Pearl Street Lofts - Armory Revival Company
Originally occupied by the New England Butt Company and Louttit Laundry Company, this complex of one, two, and three story brick structures is a handsome example of industrial architecture dating from the 1850s. The Armory Revival Company purchased the complex to convert the building into 19 condominiums and 38 apartments.

 

Monohasset Mill, LLC
The Monohasset Mill, built in 1866, housed a number of companies and manufacturers, including the Cleveland Worsted and the Armington & Simms steam engine company. Located in Olneyville, Monohasset Mill is being rehabilitated into 33 live/work condominiums.

Saki's Pizza - Sampalis Realty, LLC.
PPSRF assisted Sampalis Realty with the preparation, submission, and monitoring of State and Federal Historic Tax Credit Certifications for the renovation of Benjamin Dyer Block in downtown Providence. The building was built in 1820 as rowhouses by architect John Holden Greene.

 

Masonic Temple - Sage Hospitality Resources
Although never fully completed, this Providence landmark, constructed from buff brick and sandstone, has been an integral part of the Smith Hill landscape since 1928. After years of deterioration, in 2002, Sage Hospitality, from Denver, reached agreement to purchase the building from the State to restore this neo-classical inspired design and convert the space into the Renaissance Hotel, Providence.

 

Pell Chaffee Performing Arts Center - Trinity Repertory Company
PPSRF assisted the Trinity Repertory Company by preparing the State Historic Tax Credit application for the rehabilitation of the former Providence Institution for Savings. This prominent, 3-story, classical revival granite and brick sheathed, steel-framed building was built in 1929 by architects Howe & Church.

 

Peerless Building - Cornish Associates
Originally built to house The Boston Company department store (the first in the city), the Peerless Building is now comprised of four separate, internally-connected buildings with open floor plans. The first building was constructed in 1866. As the other buildings were added in 1873, 1893, and 1897, they were designed to be compatible with the original brick and stone American Renaissance style.

 

Rau Fastner Mill - West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation
For more information contact the WEHDC at www.wehdc.org

 

O'Gorman Building - Cornish Associates
Vacant for nearly 35 years, the upper levels of the O’Gorman building, located in the heart of downtown Providence, were recently converted by Cornish Associates into residential apartments. Built circa 1925, this brick and terra cotta-clad, corner building was connected to the adjacent Burgess Building.

William Wilkinson Building - Cornish Associates
Built in 1887 by architects Stone, Carpenter, and Wilson, the William Wilkinson Building (also known as the Lerner Building) sat vacant for many years before Cornish Associates purchased it to convert it to 12 loft apartments with ground floor retail. The PPSRF was the historic consultant for the project and prepared the Federal and State Historic Tax Credits applications.

 

The Elmwood Foundation - Revitalization II
Using Low Income Tax Credits, combined with State and Federal Historic Tax Credits the Elmwood Foundation, a neighborhood CDC, restored seven multi-family houses in Elmwood for affordable housing. The PPSRF prepared the State and Federal Historic Tax Credits for this project and consulted on the paint colors, replacement of missing details, and the design of new construction which was also part of the project.

 

Burgess Building - Cornish Associates
Since 1870, the Burgess building has contributed to the rich architectural fabric of downtown Providence. Although vacant for a number of years, the building was originally intended to house retail and office space. Cornish Associates has connected the building internally to the adjacent O’Gorman Building and has renovated both buildings.

 

South Providence Development Corporation
Located in South Providence, this manufacturing/industrial building is a simple, blonde brick structure typical of buildings constructed towards the end of the industrial era. Built circa 1927, the building was owned by a number of companies over the years, including; Cutler Jewelry Co., Eastern Manufacturing Co., Gem Realty Corporation, and Canal Furniture Warehouse.

 

SWAP - Upper Pine Street Revitalization
PPSRF assisted Stop Wasting Abandoned Property, a statewide CDC, in obtaining State and Federal Historic Tax Credits for the rehabilitation of 7 houses on the upper part of Pine Street. These typical multi-family structures of the late 19th and early 20th century were originally built for the growing middle class in Providence.

Youth In Action
Built in 1908, 672 Broad Street is a mixed-use, four story commercial/residential building. It was purchased in 2002 by Youth in Action, a youth governed and operated non-profit whose primary mission is youth leadership and development in Providence.

 

Fleur-de-Lys - Providence Art Club
Located at 7 Thomas Street, the Fleur-de-lys building was built in 1885 by renowned artist Sydney Burleigh and architect Edmund Wilson. Now owned by the Providence Art Club, it serves as studios.

George M. Griffin House - Peter Bramante & Tom Nolan
By providing specifications, research and drawings, PPSRF assisted the owners of the George M. Griffin House with the restoration of this Armory District landmark. Built circa 1890, this 2 ½ story, cross-gabled-roof Queen Anne house is decorated with handsome carved wood gable panels.

 

Omni Development Corporation
For more information contact the Omni Development Corporation at www.omnidevelopmentcorp.com

back to top