230-232 Westminster St. - Burgess Building
back to projects
Since 1870, the Burgess building has contributed to the rich architectural fabric of downtown Providence. Although vacant for a number of years, the building was originally intended to house retail and office space. Cornish Associates has connected the building internally to the adjacent O’Gorman Building and has renovated both buildings. The Burgess Building with its three and a half story brick and stone trimmed façade has been converted to eight residential units, with retail space on the ground floor. Remnants of the original granite storefront columns were restored and new storefront windows were installed. The PPSRF was the historic consultant, preparing the Federal and State Historic Tax Credit applications. The project also received a loan from the Downcity Partnership, which is now the PPSRF Downcity Fund