229-239 Westminster St. - Peerless Building
back to projects
Originally built to house The Boston Company department store, the first in the city, the Peerless Building is now comprised of four separate, internally connected buildings with open floor plans. The first building was constructed in 1866, as the other buildings were added as needed in 1873, 1893, and 1897, they were designed to be compatible with the original brick and stone, American Renaissance style. Now, the building spans almost an entire city block in historic downtown Providence. Its 220,000 square feet is being rehabilitated for retail space on the first floor and 97 residential units on the upper levels. Developed by Cornish Associates and Keen Development Corporation, the project received a $1 million loan from PPSRF. PPSRF also assisted the project by reviewing plans during development and construction and prepared the State and Federal Historic Tax Credit applications. For more information contact Cornish Associates at www.cornishlp.com.